Thursday, May 9, 2013

Riverside Arts Walk



Last week was the first Thursday of the month, so I headed downtown for the Arts Walk. The weather was warm and the streets were full of people, although I generally avoid recognizable faces in my photos. I always love to take pictures of architecture and there is a wide variety of buildings downtown.

Life Arts Building

Future Mystery Photo?

Riverside Ballet Arts

First Congressional Church

Universalist Unitarian Church lawn displaying art for sale

Riverside Public Library


Because it was close to Cinco de Mayo, there was a special presentation of mariachi singers and various dance troupes performing on the corner of University and Lemon in brightly colored costumes.

Beautifully Embroidered Costumes-So much work!


Young dancer waiting to perform


mystery pirate on an adventure


I did see a lot of art that night, on the streets, in a few galleries, and lastly in the Riverside Art Museum. I just joined the museum and wanted to see the photographic display from the members of PAN-the Photo Artists Network. This sub group of the museum is made for photo enthusiasts like me! I plan to learn as much as I can about taking better photographs and will share that knowledge here.  I had a moment to sit down and talk with member and longtime resident, Marscia Thomas. She showed me how she colors black and white photographs with colored pencil with amazing results. Every artist needs more than one creative outlet and when she is not shooting, she is coloring her photos. So cool. 


Luck was with me that night as I fell in love with a cat woman art piece done by local artist, Raymond Argumedo. I have the whole triptych now and I'm thrilled to give a shout out to some local talent. He is a featured artist in the Collaboration X arts group supported by the Riverside Arts Council. This guy has a nice smile and a large body of work. Seriously, he paints a lot.  I'm jealous. No, really I am. If you like black edged artwork found in graphic novels like I do, check out Raymond's work.
© 2013 by artist Richard Argumedo

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment